Change up your usual Thursday night and make some magical mac (or bow tie) and cheese. Use what ever you have on hand to color it up! I had tons of homegrown grape tomatoes and basil to work with =]
Add a bunch of roasted veggies and call it a meal!
What you need:
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
2 cups grated cheese (I used sharp cheddar)
Pasta (1/8-1/4c uncooked/serving)
Salt and pepper to taste
About a cup of halved grape tomatoes
One bag of frozen broccoli
One bag of frozen cauliflower
Olive oil (I used portobello mushroom&garlic for the tomatoes and sundried tomato oil for the veggies)
Fresh basil to garnish
Start with clean hands.
*preheat the over to 425
*bring a pasta pot of water to a boil and cook it al dente
1. Make a roux with the butter and flour
2. Whisk in the milk and heat over a low flame for about 15 min
3. Remove from heat and add the shredded queso
4. Toss tomatoes in about a T of olive oil and layer face up in a baking dish. Sprinkle with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper. Roast at the top of the preheated oven. (15-20 min)
5. Toss the broccoli and cauliflower with olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt. Lay on a single layer on a baking sheet and roast until slightly browned. (15-20 minutes)
6. Get fancy with the basil. Chiffonade time.
7. You can serve it as you would spaghetti and meatballs, but with the cheese sauce as marinara and roasted tomatoes as meatballs. Some people mix the pasta with the sauce and others like to introduce the two on the plate–it’s up to you. (I don’t like tomatoes, so I chopped one up and only added it for color to my pasta)