Today marks my blog’s first birthday! Well, technically it’s the anniversary of the day I started this project, but I chose the word birthday because to me, this blog represents the birth of the creative side to me. I started this blog because I wanted a creative outlet and a place to jot down the many thoughts that go through my head daily. SEQUINS + STUDS started as a lifestyle blog where I documented daily occurrences and events in my life. However, as the blog grew, I soon noticed that fashion became the primary focus and ultimately changed the entire tone of my blog. I have had some awesome opportunities come from this blog. I’ve also collaborated and have developed relationships with other bloggers, which is the coolest part for me. I feel so lucky for those experiences and for the progression of this blog. I honestly never expected anyone other than myself and my best friend to be reading this. Now, a year and 1,103 followers later, I am still having fun with this every day. Thank all of you for every like, comment, share, and follow. It’s my interaction with all of you that keeps me writing.
Below are my ten favorite moments over the past year. I hope you have enjoyed reading this blog as much as I have enjoyed creating it! Thank you!
1. DIY: Mod Podge Collage: DIYs are one of my favorite past times. This one was special to me because I was featured on Nasty Gal‘s (my favorite e-tailer) blog for their Nasty Gals Do It Better contest.
2. Weekly Style-spiration: Gwen Stefani: This weekly segment was created to highlight the fashionable celebrities out there. Gwen is my personal style icon, which is why her feature is my favorite of the group.
3. Trend Report: ‘Tis the Midriff Season: With so many trends that come and go, it can be hard to keep up. One of my favorite things to do is spot a trend on the runway and figure out a way to make it my own. The midriff trend is my favorite for this summer!
4. A Mod-tastic Day: One of my personal highlights last summer was visiting ModCloth headquarters. Meeting the founder of ModCloth and hearing her story as well as learning about the growing success of ModCloth was nothing less than inspiring.
5. Subscene Style at NYFW: As mentioned earlier, one of my favorite things that have come from this blog is the opportunity to collaborate with other bloggers. I am a huge lover of street style fashion photography and was excited when Subscene Style offered to share their experiences over at NYFW this Spring.
6. Outfit of the Day: Cheetah Kicks and Chambray: Because I was frequently being asked to highlight my personal style, one of my 2013 resolutions was to expand this blog by taking outfit of the day pictures.
7. RSVP: I love surrounding myself with creative minds, and this post highlights one of those creative minds. In this post I interview Kaimel, who is on a mission to create his own fashion line.
8. Germany via Instagram: Two things I love: Instagram and travel. This past September, my mom, friend and I took a trip to Germany to visit my family and check out Oktoberfest.
9. NYFW FW13 Designer Profile: Tadashi Shoji: Designer profiles are always fun for me to do because of the massive amount of inspiration I get from watching their collections every season at Fashion Week. Tadashi is one of those designers who always catch my eye and leave me wanting more.
10. The Stylist Diaries: 1920s in San Francisco: Styling is my first love and I wanted a place to highlight some of my favorite styling projects. This one is special to me because we had a fantastic crew and really lucked out with the birds.
So that’s that, folks! Thanks again for sharing this experience with me. Can’t wait to see what’s in store this upcoming year!